When I think back to the times when I’ve been strongly motivated to advocate for animals, I find that they coincide with particular stories of animal abuse in the news. Stories that hit me in the gut. My current project is no different. For it to be successful, I need to make a lot of noise and to reach a lot of people. To do this, I need your help; the help of other advocates, animal rescues, and animal lovers. Today I am going to give you the opportunity and a clear path to help me and make a difference.
In 2011, I covered a story out of West Virginia for Pet Pardons News. It was about a young man, Jeffrey A. Nally, who’d been arrested for obtaining animals from “Free to Good Home” ads and then torturing the animals to death. Many of the victims were puppies. Police found the remains of 29 dogs and a cat on his property. If you want to read more about the details of the case, you can do so HERE. (Be warned, it’s gruesome). The case had a prosecutor who really cared. He worked hard to be the voice for Nally’s helpless and innocent victims, and was able to have the man sentenced to 10-45 years in prison. That’s almost unheard of.
Nally comes up for parole in April of 2021. You may not know this, but psychiatric and humane professionals agree: animal abusers are five times more likely to move on to commit other violent crimes like assault and murder. In Jeff Nally’s case, he already has other violent crimes on his record, and given the fact that he’s been quoted as saying
“Killing dogs makes me feel good”
I think you’ll agree with me that the world is a safer place if he remains behind bars and serves his entire sentence.
That’s why I’m putting out this CALL TO ACTION.
- Sign the petition I’ve started on Change.org and then share it via your social media.
- Write a letter to the WV Division of Corrections parole board asking them to deny Jeffrey Nally early parole. You should address your letter to “Honorable Members of the Parole Board“. Tell them you’d like for them to deny parole for Jeffrey A. Nally, Offender #3507601.
Ask that Nally be given a “set-off” and be required to serve his full sentence. Tell the parole board why you think Nally is a danger to society, and how you feel about his cruel crimes. Sign your letter and mail it to:
WV Division of Corrections
1356 Hansford St. Suite B
Charleston, WV 25301
Neither the offender nor his attorney will see your letter — only the parole board. Personal letters carry the most weight with the parole board, but if you need help, send me an email and I will provide you with a letter you can sign and mail.
- Make a donation to the GoFundMe that I’ve set up for this project. Donations will be used to purchase pre-printed postcards to the parole board. The postcards will be provided to individuals and groups to share with others to sign and mail in. If there is enough in the GoFundMe, the remainder will be used for postage to mail the postcards.
- If you are an individual or a member of a group who wants postcards to pass out, please send me an email with your mailing address and the number of postcards you think you’d be able to get others to sign and mail.
- If you are an official of a rescue or humane group who updates your members with emails or a newsletter, I will provide you with an article upon request.
- If you are a teacher who would like me to speak to your class about this campaign and advocating for animals, contact me.
- Share this blog post with others via your social media.
I used to say “Somebody should do something about that.”
Then I realized I am somebody.”