All of us working in pet rescue have the same goals: to save as many animals as possible from death or suffering. It’s really that simple.
But first we have to agree on some basic tenets:
- The most important thing in rescue is the animals.
- There are a lot of different focuses in the rescue community to achieve the goals of saving animals. Not everyone is involved in every aspect, nor should they be. (see #1)
- Networking is paramount. (see #2 and #1)
- Education is essential: both for rescuers and the general public. (see #3, #2 and #1)
- Not all of us will agree on the best avenue in any given circumstance. (see #4, #3, #2 and #1)
- Certain tactics are counter-productive and may actually hinder the chances of success. (see #5, #4, #3, #2 and #1)
- Leave your drama and your ego at the door. Rescue is not a competition. (see #6, #5, #4, #3, #2, and #1)
- We are not all going to get along. (see #7, #6, #5, #4, #3, #2, and #1)
I am a part of a pretty extensive rescue network. That network includes breed rescues, pound rescues, lost & found services, transporters, legal advisors, veterinarians, groomers, trainers, fosterers and bloggers. One of the most valuable things about having a network like that is the ability to reach out to people who have the answers that you do not.
You’ve heard the saying “No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.”
Say it out loud. Memorize it. Live by it.
Here’s another saying. “Don’t engage in counter-productive practices, because it wastes your time and mine.”
Have that one tattooed.
If you want some examples of counter productive practices, check out these recent blog posts:
And that saying “Saving one dog won’t change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.”..well, just quit saying that one, because it’s only half true.
We are also always looking for coupons for certain items we purchase for the dogs on a regular basis. If you have Rachael Ray Nutrish coupons, Cesar coupons, or milkbone coupons that you will not be using, please save them for us. Contact me if you have some to send.
And if you come across an errant box of Purina Busy HeartyHides in your store, for God’s sake, send them to us!
I also have a wishlist of items that we just can’t afford, but that would make life a whole lot easier.